1 the property of a continuous and connected period of time [syn: continuity]
2 persistent determination [syn: doggedness, perseverance, persistency, tenacity, tenaciousness, pertinacity]
3 the act of persisting or persevering; continuing or repeating behavior; "his perseveration continued to the point where it was no longer appropriate" [syn: perseverance, perseveration]
- The property of being persistent.
- You've got to admire his persistence, he's asked her out every day for a month even though she keeps turning him down.
- Of data, continuing to exist after the execution of the
- Once written to a disk file the data has persistence, it will still be there tomorrow when we run the next program.
property of being persistent
Persistence may refer to:
- Persistence (computer science), the characteristic of data that outlives the execution of the program that created it
- Persistence (meteorology), the meteorological phenomenon by which weather remains relatively unchanged over short time intervals, allowing forecasts to become more accurate.
- Persistence of a number, a mathematical quality of numbers
- Image persistence, in LCD monitors
- Inflation persistence, in economics
Persistence may also be used for:
- A measure of how long a CRT monitor's phosphors glow after they have been struck by electrons.
- The existence of an infectious agent in a population without causing direct harm to the hosts which carry it, but with the potential to infect and damage other hosts, particularly those who are immunocompromised.
persistence in German: Persistenz
persistence in Spanish: Persistencia
persistence in French: Persistance
persistence in Dutch: Persistentie
persistence in Portuguese: Persistência
abidingness, accordance, adhesiveness, age, antiquity, application, assiduity, assiduousness, bulldog tenacity, bullheadedness, calm, changelessness, cohesiveness, commitment, concentration, consistency, consonance, constancy, continualness, continuance, continuation, continuity, correspondence, course, decidedness, decision, decisiveness, dedication, defeat of time, defiance of time, definiteness, demandingness, determinateness, determination, determinedness, devotion, diligence, diuturnity, dogged perseverance, doggedness, durability, durableness, duration, earnestness, endurance, engrossment, equability, equanimity, equilibrium, evenness, exigency, extension, fidelity, firmness, fixedness, frozenness, gluiness, glutinosity, grit, gumminess, hardening, homogeneity, immobility, immovability, immovableness, immutability, importunacy, importunateness, importunity, indefatigability, industriousness, industry, insistence, insistency, invariability, invariableness, inveteracy, lastingness, lengthening, long standing, long-lastingness, long-livedness, longevity, loyalty, maintenance, monolithism, obduracy, obstinacy, patience, patience of Job, perdurability, perennation, permanence, permanency, perpetualness, perpetuation, perpetuity, perseverance, persistency, pertinaciousness, pertinacity, plodding, pluck, plugging, preoccupation, pressingness, pressure, progress, progression, prolongation, protraction, purpose, purposefulness, pursuance, quiescence, relentlessness, repetition, resoluteness, resolution, resolve, resolvedness, retention, rigidity, run, sedulity, sedulousness, self-will, seriousness, sincerity, single-mindedness, singleness of purpose, slogging, snugness, solidity, stability, stamina, standing, stasis, staying power, steadfastness, steadiness, stick-to-itiveness, stickiness, straight course, stubbornness, survival, survivance, sustained action, sustenance, tackiness, tenaciousness, tenacity, tightness, tirelessness, torpor, total commitment, toughness, unchangeability, unchangingness, uniformity, uninterrupted course, unity, unremittingness, unruffledness, unswerving attention, urgency, viscidity, viscosity, way, will